Monday, July 13, 2015

Car crash survivor survives three-day jungle ordeal- An interview with the victim in hospital


IPOH, Oct 24 —  A Malaysian Nicholas Andrew, had seriously injured in a car accident and able to crawled through jungle for three days before arriving at an isolated village of orang asli.

According to police chief Som Sak Din Keliaw, Nicholas Andrew is in hospital in Tapah, Perak state Malaysia. But unfortunately, Andrew broke his arm and leg in the accident. The passenger in the same vehicle died but he able to survive in a crash is a miracle.
Andrew told local media from his hospital bed the accident happened after he had been delivering wedding invitations. He said after regaining consciousness he called for his friend, got no response and decided to “crawl for help”.

Nicholas Andrew was a 33-year-old Civil Defense Department worker, driving along with a friend, R. Thiyagarajan, 34, from Tapah to Bidor on Sunday to send invitations to his younger sister’s wedding later this month, when the car swerved off the road and landed in a ravine at Km62.8 of the Ipoh-Kuala Lumpur trunk road near Tanah Rata.

Andrew was discovered by orang asli villagers at a nearby oil palm plantation on Wednesday evening and was rushed to Tapah Hospital.

During an interview section with Andrew, he said to the reporter that he was unable to recall much about the crash, which police said occurred at about 3am on Sunday.

“All I remember is that I lost control of the car. The next thing I remember was opening my eyes in a 20m-deep ravine,” he said when met at the Teluk Intan Hospital, where he was transferred to yesterday. “I realized that I had been thrown out of the car and my first instinct was to call for my friend. But he never replied.”

Andrew says he tried to stand up but he buckled and realized his right arm and right leg were broken. "I suddenly think I will not die alone in a forest and I try to move my body but I feel like something had broken".

He then began dragging himself along the forest floor and struggled to search for anyone who could rescue him.

“All I found on the first day was a small drain running along the ravine. It was raining but I was unable to gather any rainwater to drink, so I just gulped down the drain water. I was just so thirsty,” he said.
“Throughout the day I kept calling out to my friend but I didn’t get a reply. I was hoping he had managed to escape and could save me.”

Andrew said he spent his nights perched on trees and on a sandbank.
On Monday, the rain continued but he crawled further upstream as his condition worsened.
His cuts and wounds became infected and he was unable to drink by Tuesday because his mouth was full of cuts.

“I fashioned a straw out of a hollow blade of grass and sipped water from another drain,” he said.
Despite his worsening condition, Andrew said, he reached a larger part of the waterway on Wednesday and it was then that he saw a man.

“My heart broke as I thought that my luck had run out. But he came back with some of his friends. A short while later, they managed to locate me after hearing my cries,” he said.

"Through this incident I had learn not to be reckless and drive in a low speed when in small road and avoid any distraction from smartphone" said  Nicholas Andrew 

Interview information from: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/car-crash-survivor-survives-three-day-jungle-ordeal

        In our opinion, even a responsible and caution driver didn't commit any illegal activities such as drink alcohol, play smartphone, eat during drives or reckless driving. But also must care and concern on the surrounding area which is unpredictable and will cause accidents. In addition, driver must drive in an average speed and always aware of external surrounding such as raining heavily, driver must slow down. Thus, it can reduce the rate of accidents on the road in Malaysia. 


Tow Kai Shen 
Security Department
14WHR11278

No comments:

Post a Comment